A New Perspective On Minimalism

08:00:00

Minimalism. I don't know how much I have heard that word in the past years. It has taken over a great part of a lot of peoples lives. As soon as you say that word people have an image of it. Most of the time a home, like Rachel Aust or Jenny Mustard. But there is another kind of minimalism nobody really talks about...


First and foremost, a question for you guys, What does minimalism means to you?? Please answer before reading the rest :). 




A year ago I started digging deeper into minimalism and found out really quickly what it meant for most people. I really tried to become a minimalist like that. It helped me get rid of so much things that I didn't appreciate anymore. It helped me get rid of a lot of negative things in my environment. It felt good...
But my room didn't look as neat as the ones from Rachel Aust and it frustrated me. I literally wanted to throw everything away, that's how frustrated I was. But one major thing made that I didn't do that... the positive energies in those objects, the stories behind it and the love I shared for it. 


"In some areas on my life I became a minimalist and for some, I choose to not let it influence me. "

I believe real minimalism isn't for everyone and I don't feel comfortable doing it in my bedroom. My skincare is a part of me that is minimal. Well, comparing to most YouTubers and bloggers. I have a 3 step skincare routine in the evening and in the morning just one step. Weekly I do a cleansing routine to avoid any acne breakout. I can say that cloth wise I become quite minimal too. I only own the things I really like, although at this moment I feel like I absolutely need more color in my clothes...


But my room, and the decorations, I don't want it to be minimal. I want people to feel like someone lives here, feel the positive energies and get a chill vibe as soon as they step into my room. I have a work area that is separate from the chill area in my room. Most of the time it is messy but that's because first, I have all my film, photograph and editing gear and besides that I am an artist, I love drawing and painting and that's why most of the time, It won't really be neat, but once a week I'll clean it, just in case it would ever get out of hands. 
The chill area in my room is the biggest part of my room. It's also the first thing you see when you get in. I wanted it to be relaxed and meditative. Lots of colors and book and candles and flowers and plants. I want to be able to come in my room and feel like I am alive. There is life in my room, pictures and paintings, magazines I read and spiritual workbook. Books I absolutely love and the ones I still need to read. 


A part of me wanted it to be minimal but deep in my heart, I know that minimalism for me is just working on a few aspects of my life. And I finally accepted that. For everyone this is different and I challenge you to find what part of your life can be minimalist and why the other areas in your life wouldn't suit that lifestyle.

Much love,
Joëlle 




You Might Also Like

0 Comments

Popular Posts